Tuesday, October 13, 2009

behind the scenes

I've been going back and forth on if, when, how and why to write a blog on the insides of this little company I call "fruit". There's a lot happening right now, a lot to look forward to, a lot on my plate and I've decided to take the plunge into the world of blogging to record it all (or some of it at least) for those who want to know more about what goes on behind the scenes of an in-home, hand-made, sole-proprietor, mommy-run business. So here we go...

One of the first and most important things I want to share is that while my name is the only one printed beneath the business name, I don't do it all alone. For those of you who don't know me personally, I am a Christ-follower, a child of God, created in His image and for His glory. He takes the lead, and I follow. He is light for my path, even if it's just a step at a time. And that is usually the way it is.

Running a sewing gig is the absolute last thing I could ever have dreamed of doing in life. My parents are still dumbfounded that their jock of a daughter who much preferred playing the sport of the season to learning the home-making skills my mother so faithfully taught us girls growing up, is now sewing for a living. But how does the saying go? "Necessity is the mother of invention." My "need" was to stay at home with my kids and yet there was also a need to generate some income. What started as wanting to learn to sew, grew into an idea that perhaps I could create some simple patterns, use the ingenious creativity of the world of fabric design, and then put the two together to start a business sewing and selling baby essentials.

And here I am now, doing just that. Again, I have not done it alone. I wish I could name every name and post photos of each and every person in my band of helpers, encouragers, cheerleaders, vision-givers, idea-generators, sounding boards, direction-pointers, dear family and friends who have enabled me to start and now grow "fruit"...in time, I hope to do that. For now, know that "fruit" is the product of many hands, minds and hearts nurturing me forward, daily anchored in the grace of a loving and ever-present personal God.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!!! Glad you are blogging now!! I soaked up every word and can't wait 'til your next posting.
    Sincerely, a proud customer, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a true inspiration and your adorable work a blessing to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Laura!! We love your stuff!! You go girl and welcome to the blogging world:)

    ReplyDelete